Thursday, July 28, 2011

Like A Native

Darin decided to take me to a bakery.  Hurray for me.  Then he said something dumb like, "You're going to do this on your own.  It is time for you to order."  I quickly freaked out and reminded him that I didn't even know my numbers yet.  He is heartless and the pastries were deliciously tempting, so I smiled and pointed like a baby.  Yep, I am awesome. 

Pretzels?  Yes. [nod, nod] Hold up 3 fingers and forget the word for three. [Totally embarrassed.] Point to the delicious, chocolate, twisty, things. [Smile.]  Finally, remember the number 1. 

Then, she asks if that was all... and I answer her in Turkish, evet!

LAME!  Moving makes me feel so stupid.  Darin hasn't stopped laughing at me.  I spent the rest of the night learning to count to ten.  I will be able to do it the next time, because those chocolate, twisty things are worth the embarrasment.

3 comments:

  1. I spoke Finnish to the poor Turks for the first year that I lived there. :)

    I agree with you - anything with "chocolate" and "pastry" in its description is worth any amount of embarrassment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always, you're my hero! Love hearing all about the adventures!

    Love ya......Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's my girl! If it's chocolate, it's worth any embarassment. Sounds like you're doing great!
    Love, G. Allred

    ReplyDelete