Sunday, September 11, 2011

Another Week-September 5-11

I am living in chaos. That is a good thing because that means all of my stuff has arrived however, a lot of it is still in boxes. (I happen to think that boxes smell funny/stink. I keep lighting my candle hoping to get rid of the smell.) The movers were great and fast! They had all of our stuff unpacked and our beds assembled by 1330. It took those lazy movers in Texas 2 days until 8pm just to pack it. We only had a few things damaged which is shocking because of the terrible Texas movers. Darin and I, with the help of 3 little ones, started to unpack. When you have so much to unpack and do, it is hard to know where to start. We started by making sure that all the boys had somewhere to sleep and a path to their bed. Then we started to put together our upstairs so that we would have somewhere clean to escape to. I found my kitchen by evening. We’ve lost our unpacking steam now. Neither Darin or I have unpacked our clothes. I am still wearing the same things that I brought in my 1 suitcase. How is that for lame? The main problem is that without closets, we don’t know where to put our stuff. We have very limited space in our wardrobes to hang up clothes and jackets SO we keep them in the boxes. Where to put our shoes in another huge problem; I can fit like 6 pair on the floor of the wardrobe, and I have a few more than 6. So like our clothes, our shoes are still in boxes. I am hoping to work on things this week, as I’d like to wear something different to church next Sunday, call me vain.


Tuesday evening we were able to attend a fireside with Elder Bednar. It was awesome. He was over here doing different mission conferences, and stopped by to do a fireside for the area. He served a mission in Germany and so he would speak both English and German while talking and the translator would have to flop back and forth as well. It was funny. He was a funny guy. He actually didn’t prepare a talk, instead just opened it up to do a Q & A for 2 hours. It was great. My favorite moment was when we sang the opening song and it was in unison, but it was in German and English. The church is strong here and it is a worldwide church. These saints were just as excited about seeing an apostle as we were. It was an awesome night.

Curry the van is finally here and I LOVE the space of a real van. The kids can still reach each other enough to poke and bug, but they don’t have to do it while having their laps loaded with groceries. It only has a few extra dings in it, but nothing serious. I am so happy.

Friday when we were at our ward dessert night, I realized that the ward is good. I know that I was complaining about the size, but it is good. I was hoping for the branch experience that we had in Turkey, and I won’t find it, but it is nothing like a huge ward in the states. We are all still here together. We are all away from family. There is a commonality amongst everyone that makes it better. I found a bunch of ladies that I know will be good friends. It was nice to finally feel like we have a place. The boys have a ton of friends in the ward and spent hours playing and running. Davis said that it was great fun to hang out with his friends. Both Jag and Noah cried when we got home because they were playing and didn’t notice EVERYONE eating treats, so they got none. You can never please them all.

We didn’t find anything exciting to explore or watch this weekend. We found some yard sales and picked up a few items to try to make our home feel right. I bought a toaster and we all ate toast, how we’ve missed toast. Maybe now I’ll make bread again.

Our kitchen sick problems were almost solved. A plumber came and worked on the sink, but didn’t bring the part to hook up the dishwasher (maybe next week). BUT I have HOT RUNNING water which is so great that I might not complain about doing the dishes. Might. The plumber stunk up the house while changing the yucky pipes. I walked into the kitchen and the only thing that came to mind was a German word. I have found myself trying to talk to a neighbor and unable to think of the German word I was looking for. Spanish, Turkish, English all came to mind, but German was nowhere to be found. But when I walked into the stinky kitchen German popped into my head (not out my mouth thankfully, as it wasn’t an appropriate word). I am like a little kid that only knows the bad words. I don’t know why I can’t remember good German. Maybe it is true; you can’t teach an old dog new tricks. I am going to be having a birthday that must be my problem. But hey, I at least know something in German, that is an improvement.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, how I miss your ultra-sensitive nose!

    Here's my advice: drag your shoe/clothes boxes outside, spray paint them bright orange, then take a big, black sharpie and sketch on jack-o-lantarn faces. Voila! Instant Halloween decorations AND convienent storage, all in one!

    You're welcome. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you're liking your ward. That makes such a difference in your life. As for storage, maybe you can devote an extra bedroom to being your walk-in closet. You could get some of those shoe racks meant for closets. I bought a plastic storage thing with 3 drawers and divided my shoes by color. It helped when I was working and actually dressed up every day. Brooke's idea is also good!
    Love, G. Allred

    ReplyDelete