Not long before we moved to Germany I was in a Sally's Beauty store to pick something up. A woman in front of me put up her purchase up and the cashier said something to her. The ladies face registered confussion and then the cashier said something else. Still nothing. Then the lady said something along the lines of "Do you happen to speak Spanish?" I remember thinking "Really? Not one word of English and you are trying to buy something?" The nerve of some people, and I am behind them in line.
My humble pie is not very delicious. The poor girl was probably on vacation in San Antonio and stopped at a beauty store to grab something to keep her hair back in the humid weather.
I got the "Really? Not one word of German and you are trying to buy something?" look this past weekend as I was trying to pick up something cute to wear for New Years Eve. To the defense of the judgmental cashier, it was New Years Eve and it was closing time (I didn't know that either.) However, closing time was 1:00, so it's not like a party was being missed.
For the record, I will just answer "Ja" from now on, chances are that will answer most of the cashier's questions. "Ja, I want a bag."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Not speaking the language needed in a situation can be so frustrating! When my sister and I were lost in Lima, Peru, we were terrified and couldn't find anyone to help us - not the police, not Information - no one. We finally got in a cab (the one they told us NOT to use) and he took us back to our hotel. It is pretty humbling when you're the one needing help. Making the effort is what counts, and being patient when it's someone else.
ReplyDeleteLove, G. Allred
Ummm...Aunt Helen and my mother got lost in Lima? I'm not sure I've been told this story. I KNEW I should have gone with them.
ReplyDeleteI've had that face thrown at me, and I've thrown it plenty myself. Funny, it doesn't get you any closer to buying that cute outfit, or getting through with your shift at the store.
Yep. Lesson learned for a lot of us!