Tuesday, March 12, 2013

I Might be a Little bit Spoiled

I was able to go to Paris again.  Just for the day.  Without the kids, but with friends.  This time was to attend cooking school.  Eclairs!  I've made eclairs before, but now I know how to make Parisian eclairs just like my cute French chef.  Actually, it is all about being able to say just that!
 
We took the ICE train.  It got us to Paris in an hour and 45 minutes.  We were traveling over 310km/hr.  This is the view from my seat.  Yep, that is the driver.  I kept watching and I think he may have been nodding off on the straight parts.  Being that we were in the very front it wasn't really a smooth ride.  Kind of reminded me of that old school yard game, Crack the Whip, I felt like we were catching a bit of air and it was way too bumpy to read.
 
 
Before cooking school we toured the Paris Opera house.  It was the theater that the Phantom of the Opera was about.  I don't know if Phantom ever played here, but the theater was awesome.



Every thing imaginable was in this place.  Statues, gold mosaics, columns, fancy carvings, painted ceilings.

The ladies that I went with.
We stopped at this neat church as we were waiting.  I don't know the name, but it just goes to show that there are amazing churches on every corner in Europe.  This one had some great stained glass.

The stained glass on top was original, but the stuff on the bottom was the repairs that came after the church was damaged in war.

This is payment for all the meals that I cook!  This was one of those bucket list things.  I was so excited.

Me and my partner

Just out of the oven

 
The recipe

We had a great time cooking and then jumped back on the train to go home.  Paris for the day, that is pretty spoiled.  I had the same seat for the ride back, but this time I was riding backwards and in the last car of the train.  It was even more bumpy than the way there. I was really glad that it was dark so that I didn't get too sick.  I am so glad that Darin kept the house running smoothly and insisted that I go. 
 
Now to make them at home!

Chouquettes
Little empty cream puff things with sugar on the top that kind of melts and sweetens the whole thing.  I like them.  Darin thought they tasted like eggs.  I think they'd be great with some of the eclair filling.  Everything is better with filling anyway.

These were yummy and reminded me of Paris.  Oh, how I enjoy eclairs and Paris.

4 comments:

  1. Awesome!! Local cooking classes are the best! Oh, how I miss our Turkish class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! You really know how to have fun!! That sounds fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, you are spoiled. That sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jan and I loved the ICE trains and being in 1st class. They really move! I can't a better outing for someone who does so much great cooking, which we enjoyed at your house. Brings back good memories. Love you!!
    G. Allred

    ReplyDelete