Rain. Every day for weeks, it has been raining. I guess that the good thing about rain is that it isn’t snow. The weather, although cold, hasn’t been cold enough. Why would we want cold enough? We’ve had one day of snow. Darin and I were being lazy in bed when we hear a familiar sound, one that makes us reach back into our youth…the scraping of a snow shovel on a sidewalk. We both jumped out of bed and ran to the window, our little neighbor was out shoveling our walks. Darin quickly ran outside and stated shoveling the entire street. After 7 years he still remembers how. There is, however, a correct way to shovel snow in Germany. Shovel first (which is tricky with cobblestones), then sweep the sidewalks, then salt. But don’t go back and shovel again if you have salted, it is nicht gut fur die garten (as Darin was told while trying to reshovel the neighbors sidewalks).
This past week we had a crazy weather day in which the wind was blowing the rain so much that it was nearly impossible for Noah and I to make the trek up the hill to the kindergarten. Nearly. That day also brought terrible hail. Jag was fascinated and wanted to run outside as see if it hurt. So he and Noah ran in the hail until they were freezing and declared that hail does in fact hurt. My kids are genius’.
As you can tell with all this weather talk, I haven’t been travelling. And I have been reduced to talking in English about the only thing I can talk about in German, weather. Ugh. Darin has been working way too much. Davis has basketball 3 days a week and the beginning of the primary year has been terrible for me, the secretary. No travelling.
I have been travelling virtually. Planning trips that I hope to take to fabulous locations in Europe, hoping that the rain stops and Darin’s work slows down enough to take them. Spring/Summer can’t come soon enough. I wonder if I’ll be able to tell by the weather or if it will still just be cold and wet?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Sounds like there are different rules for everything when you're in another country! It would take awhile to get them all down! The neighbor is right though - salt is not good for the garden. It was great to Skye w/ you last night. Sorry about my battery ending the call so abruptly!
ReplyDeleteLove, G. Allred
C'mon Jessica! You are slacking! Living vicariously through you is no fun if your just at home with the kids! hahahaha I did that! hahaha
ReplyDeleteHope the weather gets better! I bet it gets pretty lonely not being able to speak German!