Saturday, July 28, 2012

Reflections on Year One

The 26th of July marked the end of our first year in Germany.  I've been thinking about that year and have compiled my thoughts. 

*I thought (hoped) I'd have a better grasp on the language.

 Not even close!  I freak out and stress when someone wants to talk to me.  Darin is doing awesome and the neighbors love to talk to him.  They usually wait until he is around if they want something.  "Jessica uses her hands and feet to talk."  Yep, that is what they think of me.  When I told Darin that I was disappointed with my skillz, he said he wasn't surprised because I don't study everyday and I don't talk to people.  Of course I don't talk to people, I don't know what to say!  A really bad cycle.  I can only hope to have a better year this next year.

*I thought (hoped) that we would have travelled to more places. 

Now that it is summer and we are travelling quite a bit, I stopped complaining.  (Darin just laughs at this one.)  I love that all the countries are close enough to drive to and visit.  Texas took days to cross, but in days I could drive across Europe!

*I miss my garbage disposal a lot.  Also miss having 2 sides to my sink.  I've gotten used to the small stove, oven and fridge, but the small sink is still a drag.

*I love my big house.  We have tons of space.  I love my village, neighbors, and yard. 

We were concerned about living farther from base than most people choose to, but it really isn't that far.  I like to say that in real life people drive 20-30 minutes to work.  We just happen to live in a place where people can live right by where they work.  We actually only spend about 22 minutes driving to base.  I like to find the best and fast route and time myself.

*I love the autobahn.  It makes up for those days when I seem to be running 5-10 minutes late.  Get on, drive 130km/hr and tah duh - On Time.  (130 is only about 80 mile/hr.  I average about 75-85 when I am on the autobahn)

*I  hate the European parking spaces and parking lots.  They are so small!  Almost daily I am so grateful for our van the the sliding doors because after we have wedged ourselves in the parking spot that is the only way we can get out.  Darin and I have had to climb into the back and exit out the sliding doors before.

*I love some of the food here. 

I love the French Onion soup, but that probably isn't German.  I kind of like the schnitzel, but not often and it is very heavy.  I LOVE the bread.  We will miss that the most.  It is mostly rye and super chewy.  Yummy.  I enjoy the bakery products, but haven't found any that I LOVE.  I still partake often in search of the one I will love the most.  I love all the yogurts that I can get here!  Yogurt!  I love the chocolate.  I love the German salads with the yogurt dressing.  I don't love the brats. 

*I don't love recycling. 

I know that doesn't sound PC, but really I would love to clean out the fridge and just toss everything into the trash where it belongs.  I don't love having to remind my kids everytime they throw something away which color of bag it belongs in.  I don't love that my kids haven't figured that out yet.

and Lastly,
* I love the green and the beauty that is everywhere in this country.  It is amazing to me that I live here.  What an amazing opportunity this is.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like more positive things than negative, so that's good. Life is pretty much what you make it, and you have become very good at adapting to and liking your surroundings. We're proud of you - and I'm sure that the language is coming along.
    Love, G. Allred

    ReplyDelete