Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Deutsch Dienstag-Painting the Bus Stop

 I couldn't start another year with my boys sitting at a bus stop that looked like this.  The side that you can't see, nearest Christian, is full of the worst words. 


Before

I asked my landlord to look into it again.  He said that he would try to find out who to ask.  I just wanted permission.  It took him awhile, and then I decided that nobody would mind if I fixed something up.  Besides Darin was out of town and we were looking for projects to do.  I find the need to fill my days with projects while he is gone, as if being a single parent of 5 isn't project enough. I may need to talk to someone about that one day...anyway...

We stopped waiting and bought paint.  We went and removed the graffiti from the metal and also a window, then painted it.  The boys got some scouting service hours and a much improved bus stop for a new school year. 

Davis and Christian painted and scrubbed with me.  Noah kept Anya from running in the road.  Then the two of them painted the ground with all of the water.  Jag was at scout day camp. 

We didn't do this without an audience. 
Nobody asked us any questions, but many watched.  We clearly weren't from the city because we weren't wearing the blue jumpsuits that are typically worn, also the addition of a stroller and young ones may have drawn the attention. 

Leaving our mark on Germany one bus stop at a time!
 
After
We bought this great spray that takes paint off of plastic and metal and just scrubbed the bad words away,  then painted over the wood.

3 comments:

  1. You are so awesome! But for your next bus stop, I think you should really make it scream "Jessica was here!" by painting it hot pink, or decorating it for each major holiday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so great! I am sure your kids learned good lessons about taking pride in their community and doing something about it instead of waiting for someone else to. The bus stop looks so much improved!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You amaze me. Now quick, go find my mother!

    ReplyDelete