Thursday, January 17, 2013

Milestones


 
We had a few major events between November and December that I had forgotten to mention.  These are definitely things that I want to remember. 

Number 1:  No more DIAPERS at our house! 

Because it is winter and I didn't trust her in pants, she ran around in the lovely outfit of undies and leg warmers.  She was so cute.


Number 2:  Jag had his LAST appointment for his hip!
This may be hard to see, but the Left picture is his current X-ray.  The Right picture is the X-ray from a year and a half ago.  When I saw the x-rays this time I clapped.  It looks done.  The doctor pointed out that it isn't shaped quite right, but looks like it is done.  I have seen the entire process from the time he was 2 1/2 and I know that he is done.  I didn't expect perfect, but his hip looks great.  This Dr. hasn't really dealt with Perthes disease, but he'd done some reading.  Jag still has some occasional painful nights, but they have decreased greatly.  We don't have to go to the Dr. again unless he all of a sudden starts having problems or pain.  6 years of hip pains are almost over.
 
 Number 3:  Noah became a READER!

Noah finished our reading book!  After using this book to teach 4 kids to read, I am so glad that there is only one more.   The book works!  The kids are great, but teaching a kid to read is a long, long process.  I am glad for the break.  Noah is an excellent and willing reader.  He didn't have the gap between 'I can read' and 'I am a reader' that some of his brothers had.  We had a party.  That is an N...for Noah.  Lame, but tasty.

Noah showing his brothers how well he reads.  I now have to watch him because he likes to read over my shoulder when I am on the computer.

4 comments:

  1. #1 - Hooray for Anya! And for you!! You are such a great mom. Torah has been begging to go on the potty like her sisters, but I flat-out refuse to consider potty training until summer. So impressive that you did it during a German winter.

    #2 - Yeah for Jag!! I remember when that was starting up, so terrible for him. What a relief that it is better.

    #3 - Bravo Noah!! I have such a Love/Hate relationship with that dang book. It's made it through my 4 oldest and the pages are starting to fall out. One more to go . . . Then I'm BURNING it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you need one great big family party!! Three great accomplishments!! That training is a real hurdle, but an expensive success in Germany, with all the half Euros it costs to just "go"! Hurray for Jag - that is great! Also, congratulations to Noah - and YOU! What a great Mom. You make this grandma very proud.
    Love, G. Allred

    ReplyDelete
  3. What did they do for Jag's Perthes disease? Jared and I were just curious...Jared had to wear an awesome leg brace when he was younger for it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because Jag was so young (the youngest that the ped.-ortho had seen) when he was first diagnosed, we were actually just a watch and see kind of case. He went in every 6 months for xrays and monitoring. We were able to limit a bunch of his activities and keep him on Motrin when the pain was too much and avoided any thing else. We were lucky to avoid awesome leg braces or surgeries.

      Delete