Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Final Day at Kindergarten

In August the Kindergarten Kinder put on a performance as a close to their time there.
They danced, sang, and had a play. 
 
Noah and his best buddies, Marlon and Valentin, were wolves.
 
 Although we didn't really understand the story behind the play, it contained action (wolves pee pee machen) and drama (wolves sick because of eating bad food).  The acting was super.  The wolves were darling.
 These are the 3 oldest at the school.  They are leaving the kindergarten.  The teachers gave a Schuletute (cone things) filled with treats and school supplies to each of the kids.
Noah, Marlon, Valentin

Noah and his teacher Ute (OO-Tah).  She doesn't smile in pictures, but is a really sweet person.
 The outgoing Kindergarteners presenting the teachers with a gift.  Each of the outgoing "classes" gives something to the school.  Noah and I went over to Valentin's house and with Marlon and his mom made this mirror gift and let the kids play.

 Releasing balloons into the sky with wishes from the mom's, for the upcoming school year, tied to them.   
Kindergarten was such a wonderful blessing to us.  We are grateful for the time that Noah had to attend, to make friends, and to learn German.  His teachers were kind and helpful.  He found great friends.  It was a wonderful experience.  He won't be going to the next level of German school with his buddies.  We went back and forth with the pros and cons.  Mainly, the fact that his schedule for school breaks would be so different than that of the other boys and Darin was the main reason not to send him.  He is homeschooling first grade this year.  We are watching TV shows in German and hoping to get some more playdates with his friends, but we know that his language skills are going to start to disappear soon.  It is really sad.

The kindergarten teachers were asking me about sending Anya.  At first we decided to, but then (as Darin says)  I freaked out and told them no.  I just can't send my baby.  Besides, it was only going to be for 1 year.  If we were going to be here longer, then I probably would, but not for one year.  Besides, Anya already "speaks" German.  Whenever she is around German she starts speaking gibberish.  Her German includes a lot of "Danke schoen" and "Who Ha" kind of like her mom.

**As I post this I am so very sad.  Marlon's mom and my friend, Andrea Gross, died yesterday.  [she is in all white in the balloon picture]  Just over 2 weeks ago the kids were over here playing.  When she came to pick up Marlon she was telling me about her headaches.  A few days later she was in the hospital having suffered a stroke or brain hemorrhage of some sort (from what we can gather-our German is limited).  She was in a coma.  It seemed like she was possibly getting better, but yesterday when they discovered there was more bleeding in her brain they went to operate, but it was too late.  She had just turned 41.  Marlon was an only child.  She was a wonderful mom.   I don't know what will happen with their family now or if Noah will be able to see his friend again.  I am so sad and confused.  I just don't understand.  I will always remember her. 

1 comment:

  1. So sorry to hear about your friend and Noah's friend's mother. How sad. It's a scary reminder that none of us know the "number of our days." Loved the pictures.
    Love, G. Allred

    ReplyDelete