We do things a bit different with our derby cars. First, the boys receive their block of wood then I calculate how quickly we need to send the blocks to grandpa Davis. The boys draw on their block and we ship them to grandpa. Grandpa cuts them out, fills them with weight, and sends them back. The boys spend a Saturday sanding and priming the cars. Then paint. They aren't fancy like the cars I remember from my brothers, but the boys like them. I convinced Davis that nobody would know that his checkers were from a Sharpie and not paint. I convinced Christian that using red fingernail polish to paint the stripe was super cool, and shiny. Add a few stickers and done!
The cars usually always do well, but this year we had a few problems. Davis had a car that wanted to jump the track right before the finish line -EVERY TIME! Christian was just glad to be participating. The boys had a race off and Davis won Last Place! They were pleased with their awards of "Best Paint Job" (Davis) and "Judges Favorite" (Christian). All I can say is, at least Christian didn't do too much better than Davis. I would rather have two OK cars, than one great car and one crying boy.
Thanks Grandpa! Next year, only 1 car.

First, GREAT CARS GUYS!
ReplyDeleteSecond, I HATE PINEWOOD DERBY! (Of course, I may not hate it so bad if I could mail the cars to Gpa to cut out.)
Finally, I'll say I ACTUALLY REALLY JUST HATE SCOUTING! Seriously, I am counting down the days until we can be done with Merit Badges and campouts and all the clutter that comes with Scouting. Jared should get his Eagle this year, and hopefully Micah will get it next year. Then we're done!!
Great job on the cars, and such a nice family (extended also) project. The wheels on Mitchell's car kept falling off the year I attended his race. It was kind of sad for him. I'm sure the scouters appreciated your help with the event!
ReplyDeleteWhat handsome boys! I sure miss them...
ReplyDelete