So onto December! December started with Davis having several band concerts. One at the local Christmas Market. It was a cold day and the "brilliant" band director decided to combine 2 different groups that had never practiced together before. The band was less than fabulous and the director had to stop several songs and restart several. When it was over the Germans gave the kids presents. I think they were bribing the kids to quit playing. Maybe. The next day they played at the "Mall" on base and they were much better without frozen fingers. I think Davis was the cutest horn player there!
Davis and Darin went with the scouts to Austria to snowboard for the weekend. Actually they drove 15 hours and snowboarded for about 3 hours. They got home late on Saturday night. BUT it was all about the experience. Darin would have liked to snowboard and not just teach the boys. It wouldn't have mattered to the boys if there had been more time because they were really done after about 2 1/2 hours. Only 1 boy broke his arm! Success. Darin said that it was crazy and that he'd never again drive for 15 hours for only 3 on the mountain, but being with Davis his first time snowboarding was worth it all...Once. In November Davis went scuba diving with the scouts. Life as a scout is SO much cooler here. I told him to get his Eagle before we leave because everything/everywhere else will be lame.
| Garmish, Germany |
| Austria. They were supposed to ski at Garmish, but Germany is without snow. |
| If you look way at the peak of the mountain in the background you can see a little snow. Austria didn't have much snow either. They had to take a tram for quite a way to get to the snow. |
Davis started basketball this week and it has taken over everyday of the week. Not really, but it feels that way. His games will start in January. This year will be better than last because he had the worst coach in the universe and we know that he isn't living in Germany, so all is looking up. Acutally, Davis's coach is Col. Peliquin from Darin's office, so I have to watch how much I yell at the coach.
Darin and I finally got out, sans kinder, and did some shopping. I haven't felt this unready for Christmas before. Between trying to finish setting up a house here and planning our trips, Christmas was forgotten. I think that after a long and crazy day, I can see the end in sight. Christmas is so fun here with all of the Christmas Markets in each little town. We went to our local one. Only American's around. There was a band playing and a bit of food with lots of flowing Gluhwein. Our neighbor, Erika, was there and made sure that the kids got gifts from Nikolaus as well as heart waffles on a stick. Waffles are a big thing at the markets. Potato waffles, plain waffles, waffles with chocolate. The weather was freezing, but we still haven't seen any snow.
And that is IT for December! Hurray I'm actually on track with one thing this December. Off to bake like crazy...this caught me unready as well...

What a fun experience to get ready for Christmas in Germany! I had wondered if Davis was a part of a band or if he was just taking private lessons. I imagine playing a horn in the cold would be awful - might get those lips stuck to the horn! The different foods sound interesting and good. I remember the German food as being really good. We miss you, but love sharing your adventures thru the blog. Keep it coming!
ReplyDeleteLove, G. Allred
p.s. Brian is getting a little better. He has really been SICK!