Recycling is an artform here in Germany.
When my toaster died this past week I couldn't just toss the junky item into the trash. I needed to wait for the special collector man. You see he drives this beat up pick-up truck that looks like it is from the 50s. You never know when he is going to be driving by. He drives really slow up the street while the passenger in the truck rings a "school bell" out the window. Ring, ring, ring. My days of watching Monty Phython have me saying, "Bring out your dead" everytime I hear him.
I heard the bell. I grabbed the broken toaster and walked out to stand on the sidewalk and wait for him to drive by. I catch his eye, yep, nod and let him know that the toaster is junk. He stops and I toss it into the back of the truck. Danke.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

This just cracks me up! It certainly takes awhile to learn all the little things about a foreign country! Quite the education.
ReplyDeleteLove, G. Allred