We've all seen that one person who just doesn't know when they are dressing too young. The one that just can't dress age appropriately. It just makes them look older and completely ridiculous. It also just screams desperate to hang onto youth. Or just desperate.
Well, I have had a reality check. First, let me start by saying that I LOVE socks and tights. Not the nude, sandle-toe variey, but the brightly colored, make-the-ladies-at-church-talk type. I have loved wild socks since I was at least 16. Hey, I still own some of the ones I wore when I was 16. I also own a lot of knee socks. This is where I started thinking. I am getting too old to wear them without looking desperate. I am unable to wear the knee socks with a straight face anymore. Heck, I wish my face was straight and without wrinkles...another obvious reason, wrinkles just don't go with knee socks. This has been a painful realization, but I am glad that I have come to my senses. Giving up knee socks when Anya is 12 and embarrased to be seen with me because my knees are flapping over my HIP knee socks (Oh, help me if my knees ever flap.) would be too late. I don't want my family turning me into one of the What Not to Wear shows because I dress like I'm 8.
So, regretfully, but to avoid looking like I'm hanging onto the playground rediculously too long, I have recycled my knee socks into Anya's leg warmers. She totally has the legs for these things. And I feel so much better about giving them to her rather than giving them up.
I am not, however, giving up my tights and fishnet socks yet. What would I wear to church? Hose?!
Notice that Jaggy has made sweet gloves out of the leftover sock parts! He is awesome, just like his momma.

What!? You mean you're not paying 12 bucks a pop for Baby Legs?? There goes the economy.
ReplyDeleteAnd, for what it's worth, I was never embarrassed to be seen with you and your funky socks. You are totally hip enough to pull of that look! And I'll still love you even when your knees (and chins and underarms) are flappin' in the breeze. :-)
You look and dress perfectly appropriate and very stylish, quit worrying! As far as the tights go, you've got the panach and the legs for them. I'm really tired of worrying about the little personal things, wear what makes you happy. Oh yeah the kids WILL let you know if you're making them uncomfortable, never fear Jag will always let you know.
ReplyDeleteI've seen your legs, and I'm surprised they will fint Anya's chubby legs! You always look great, so stop talking about wrinkles. It makes me want to borrow Hannibal Lector's maask! Wait 'til you are twice your age (which is mine). Of course, I'm not wearing kneesocks,either - and yes, my knees probably flap!
ReplyDeletep.s. I notice that Darin is coming closer to smiling in a picture when he holds Anya than I've ever seen before! Go, Darin - you can do it!
ReplyDeleteLove, G. Allred
What a clever idea! And your Grandma Allred is a sassy thing, isn't she?
ReplyDelete