We just competed in our 4th Pinewood Derby. Darin and I were figuring out that we have years and years more and will end up with about 13 cars (barring any mess-ups). Sweet Grandpa Davis gets the cars in the mail with specific instructions about construction. He cuts them out and sends them back. The boys sand and paint. Painting often includes both the use of nail polish and sharpies. I then make many trips to the post office getting the car weighed until exactly 5 oz. is reached. All in the name of FUN!
This year only Christian competed from the Fawcett's. His car did fairly well. It didn't win, but it didn't lose either. In fact, it actually won several of it's heats. Last year, his first Derby, he had a lemon of a car. It would jump the track when ever a race was even announced. The only redeeming thing about that horrible derby was that Davis' car did worse. Yep, Fawcett's went 1 and 2...last and second to it.
| 4.9 oz. as close as I could get it this year. Maybe that .1 oz would have made the Derby Difference. Black "boat" car in the background was breaking all the Derby rules. |
| Cutest scout there! |

I swear just looking at a pinewood derby car gives me gas. I am sooooo thankful Torah is a she and not a future Cub/Boy scout.
ReplyDeleteBut you're right - Christian does make a stinkin' cute Cub.
Nice looking car! When I was in scouts (3 times mind you) a kid did his own car-no help. It was an ambulance, i.e. white block of wood with wheels. He couldn't get it to even roll, it just stayed in the middle of the track, I felt horrible for him! I think help is a good thing.
ReplyDelete