Wednesday, December 14, 2011

You Should Speak German

I ran into a little neighbor (2 doors up) at the local market.  I always panic when I see of few of the little ladies around here because they are talkers...German talkers.  I start to stress, sweat, and  ultimately laugh at the interaction that is about to take place.  This was no different. 

Erika came to me and we started to "talk" about our neighbor's husband who is so sick.  I could understand the general idea.  Then I opened my mouth.
 I started telling Erika that our neighbor had just been over to my house to bring treats to the boys. 
She didn't get it. 
I tried again. 
She grabbed the produce lady and asked her if she spoke English. 
I told the little produce lady that I was just telling her I'd recently seen the neighbor, nothing much. 
The produce lady laughs and got that confused look, that I often wear, on her face. 
Produce lady goes several aisles over in the store and grabs a poor customer who actually happens to speak English to come and translate.
Poor customer comes over and says, "What is the problem?" 
I tell her that there isn't a problem, I was just talking about a neighbor.
She laughs.
Then Erika tells both the produce lady and the poor customer EVERYTHING that she knows about me and the fam.  Noah goes to the kindergarten (Erika is the cook there), I made her bread.  She gave me apples and I made her applebutter.  Davis plays the trumpet (actually French horn) and plays the German National Anthem.  I cringe...Erika is 2 houses over and she is hearing Davis play their National Anthem.  I quickly appologize for the horn, but she tells me she likes it. whew...could have been a long 3 years.
Then Erika tells everyone that we live next to eachother and all we can say is "Hello" and "Good-bye" daily. 
Then the poor customer translates the following..."You need to learn German." 
Thanks go finish your shopping.
I tell Erika that I am learning german.  She repeats what I say switching the sentence structure...
I dismiss the observing crowd and run to hide under the nearest rock. 

This is such a humbling adventure.  I hope to make it out with a little self-esteem. 

*Erika really is a nice lady.  She really does like us.  She is right, I need to learn German.  It has only been a few months and I can only get better.

4 comments:

  1. That interaction was Hilarious! It totally reminds me of Turkey - every time we'd try to go out shopping, some Turkish guy would always rush to our aide, determined that we couldn't manage on our own (and hoping, of course, to steer us towards his "uncle's" shop). :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so funny and certainly one of a kind. I am so amazed (and ashamed of myself for not doing it) with every post and photo documented so your family will have such vivid memories archived! Will you be able to transfer your blog to one of those websites that will make things into books so you can keep it in hardcopy? Anyway, fun/funny mom, funny kids, lucky husband, beautiful family :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought the Turks were much more patient and appreciative of your efforts. Hang in there Schnuckelchen! Xoxo. Mommy

    ReplyDelete
  4. People can translate kindness without language, and you're doing fine! Sounds like you have some nice people around you. We're still kind of envious, but so happy you're enjoying your surroundings. Tell the kids we miss them.
    Love, G. Allred

    ReplyDelete