May 20, 2010 was a busy and normal day. Jag's birthday was the next day and my dad had just gotten into town to help with the boys when/if I ever had a baby. We ran a bunch of errands and got ready for a birthday. After dinner I got the cupcakes ready, decorated the house and wrapped presents. I didn't finish his jungle birthday cake, opting to go to bed instead...mistake.
I was up around 400 taking Noah to the bathroom. After returning to bed, I started to think that I was having contractions, but dismissed it as wishful thinking. 30 minutes later I decided to get up and go downstairs to watch the clock. I started to notice that the contractions were coming about 8 minutes apart, but they weren't hurting terribly. I still wasn't convinced that labor was coming.
By 500 I decided that it would be a good idea to make sure that everything was ready for the boys to go to school. I even debated finishing Jag's birthday cake, but thought that might be a bit much. By 530 I realized that the contractions were still coming and were about 7 minutes apart, still not too painful, but a bit more noticeable. I started making lists and putting sticky notes on everything around. I knew that dad would be fine, but wanted to control the situation as much as possible...I think at this point I knew I was going to be losing my control soon.
At 600 I decided to wake Darin, not because I was in labor too much, but because I knew we would need to drive 45 minutes to the hospital and I didn't want to get stuck in traffic. Darin woke with a jump and started running around grabbing things. I was trying to calm him down and kept telling him that I was fine. I woke dad and gave him some last minute instructions for the boys. We were off.
Traffic was a bit busier than I'd hoped, but still it wasn't bad. On the long drive to the hospital, I noticed the contractions getting worse and hurting a bunch more. I was still sure that everything was fine, and that just sitting and not standing was making things bad. When we got to the hospital, I knew I was in trouble. It took 5 contractions to get from the car to the hospital doors.
When we got to the check-in, it just happened to be the shift change and nobody was eager to see us. We stood in the hall for at least 15 minutes, I was really hurting now. FINALLY, someone gave us two seconds of their time. Darin kept telling anyone that would listen that I go really fast and that I was Strep B positive. No hurry. Darin repeats himself. Over and over. They checked me and I was dialated to a 9 and fully effaced. Baby was almost here. Now they are racing around taking things seriously.
I got into the room about 710 and I think that there were at least 30 incompetent people in there with us. It is a training hospital and about 15 newbies were being trained on what to do with a screaming lady. They messed up with all the blood draws and spewed blood all over the floor. A nurse was wanting Darin to fill out paperwork about... his favorite color and what sports he played in High School or something equally as stupid. He did for about 2 minutes and then tossed them aside. I started yelling that someone needed to break my water and get this baby out or give me drugs.
Someone started to talk to me about a possible "block" to help with the pain. I was all for it, but soon realized that they were just trying to get me to stop yelling...they never came back.
I couldn't get anyone to check me or break my water. They spent an enormous amount of time setting things up. They were clumsy and there were far too many people in the room. Too many people doing absolutely nothing. I really was yelling a lot right now. It is crazy how out of body it seemed. I thought that there wasn't anyway that I could make it if I didn't deliver soon. Fortunately, my water broke on its own and baby was quickly coming. It was only then that I saw the Dr. that would deliver, still don't think he told me his name...don't care. I know that I scared every soon-to-be first time mother in the hospital with my yelling. I think the last yell of "I'm on fire." may be the one that I'll remember most. The Dr. replied, " You're supposed to be." Thanks doc.
I've done the natural childbirth once before on the same dreaded day 6 years earlier. But I was mentally prepared for that one. We were poor, just out of law school with bad insurance. I could only reduce the price one way, no pain meds. So I called it my "coupon" and went without. I don't remember things being so bad then. I wasn't mentally ready natural childbirth, so I think it made everything harder. Also, I know for sure that I could have delivered at least 20 minutes earlier. I think that because the nurses and doctors weren't ready, they tortured me. If my water had been broken, she would have come sooner and the pain would have been over earlier. I didn't need a "coupon" we had insurance, thanks Doc.
After it was all over, I could hear my baby cry. I was exhausted. I wanted to know if I had indeed had a girl. Anya, was named by her dad. Anya was Darin's favorite girl Russian name. He said that his daughter was always going to be his Russian reminder. Anya Fawcett born at 747 AM 7lbs. 3 oz. 19 in long. is beautiful!
As a side note: They didn't move fast enough to get me the meds for the Strep B, so I had to stay in the hospital for 48 hours. I hate hospitals and this was the longest I've ever stayed. I just wanted to go home to my bed and my boys.
Now I am smiling!
Proud Daddy and his Anya
Hurray!! Grandpa was here just in time to take care of the boys and to help Jaggy celebrate his birthday. He helped us so very much. He had to do school stuff and baseball and birthday. He was also able to drive the boys to visit the hospital. We were so grateful that he was here to help.
My Kids!
When I walked in the door of home, Jag looked at me and said, "Wow mom you're skinny." Jag was always my favorite. Davis looked at me and said, "when will your legs get skinny?" Followed quickly with "when will your stomach get skinny? " I knew Jag was my favorite. My legs actually took quite awhile to go down. They were fat for over 2 weeks. Gradually my shin bone started to show and my ankles were found. I still have a little bit of a problem pointing my toes because it feels like the skin is too tight, but I have my legs and I couldn't be happier.

I usually LOVE birth stories, but considering that I'll be doing that in about 3 months, it probably wasn't the best thing for me to read. I'd almost forgotten the "I'm on fire!" feeling. Shudder.
ReplyDeleteAnd you look so stinkin' gorgeous right after childbirth!
YES!! FIRE!! That's exactly how you feel. I was THISCLOSE to having Harley naturally but I got my drugs just in time! I LOVE, LOVE birth stories. Love them! She's beautiful. Just like her mama!
ReplyDelete