The week just seems to fly by and yet each day seems really long. It may have something to do with the fact that we are without TV or internet. I haven’t had a car this week, and the kids only brought 1 game (UNO) and a handful of tiny toys each. Each day seems to be longer than the previous one. At least it is summer; summer can always be longer.
Monday I took, and passed, my driver’s test. I about lost it when I read the first 2 problems and didn’t have a clue about the answer. Not usually how I prefer to start a test. But, alas, I passed. I wasn’t sure that I wanted to be able to drive. I feel like I am 16 and nervous. However, the new freedom will be great.
Tuesday Noah started kindergarten. He is happy and looks forward to each day. We also had most of our “stick” furniture come. The beds just keep getting worse and worse. I can’t wait to see my own mattress again…can’t come fast enough, but I’d be crazy to hope for fast. The house is big and bare. I have been letting the boys play hide-and-go-seek, ghost in the graveyard, dodge ball, and various other off limits games IN the HOUSE. I don’t even like the games outside, but with only so many things for them to do, it prevents more fighting. I have already told them how nice I am being now, and not to expect it when we actually have stuff in our house. The house needs stuff…like closets or cabinets or something-ANYTHING-in which to put stuff. Bathrooms are tough if you don’t have anywhere to put towels, medicines, womanly doodads, etc. I have been a bore when meeting new people, “So, where do you put stuff in your bathroom? How do you arrange your house?” It sounds like we will need to head to IKEA soon.
We put food in our cupboards and I started to cook. Like I’ve told the boys, “It may not feel like home yet, but it will smell like home today.” If I can cook, I feel like everything is possible and doable. It makes me feel happy and in control of my life again. My favorite experience was when our landlord brought over his brothers girlfriend to help me figure out how to use a German oven. She didn’t speak any English, but I could tell with her hand movements what she was talking about. We were able to bond over cooking terms and I am happy to report that my cookies turned out great this week. I even made rolls that worked as well. She really saved me and that long learning curve that I was sure was coming. The day after my oven lesson, when I’d made cookies, my landlord came over, I had him try the cookies and he said, “I didn’t die.” I told him that it is a wonder the ladies aren’t lined up with his smooth talking.
This week we started exploring the town. Without a car, we found many places to walk to. We walked to the next town and to the grocery on a cute back trail. At one point we had to go through a tunnel under the sidewalk. It was plastered with graffiti. The best graffiti was in English, “Cats are beautiful.” I think something may have been lost in translation, because I have a hard time imagining the person who tagged the tunnel risking it all to tell the town that Cats are Beautiful. I laughed all the way to the store. I plan on going back and getting a picture of that one.
We walked to the village bakery. It had been closed for holiday, but is now open. It is a great little place, and I know that I will be a frequent visitor. The little lady running it was helpful and spoke English (secretly I cheered). We also found the woods and the church above our house. The church bells chime all the time and I love it. I think that America is missing church bells. I am glad that there are bells so close to my house.
I drove for the first time on Thursday when we went to pick up Darin’s new car. I think that I will get the hang of it soon enough. Autobahn- fast. Ausfahrt- laugh like I’m 10, and then exit.
Darin has been working for some of the week. He’s been gone, but busy with other things. Work is just now getting started.
We got callings in church today. We will be team teaching the 12/13 year old Sunday school class. Not bad and it gets me out of my gospel doctrine class. Every time I went there, I missed my primary days.
I still find myself being amazed that this is my life and this is where I live. I can’t wait for family to see how beautiful Germany is. It is so green. Yes, it rains all the time, but not all day long. We are still cold most of the days. I am never without a jacket on in the house. I am hoping that once we have our stuff in the house it will feel warmer, but for now we wear our jackets.
With the suggestion of a friend, we started playing UNO in German. Say the color and number, learn the colors and numbers. Noah can only talk in a funny accent. I hope that he doesn’t do that at school.
It was a good week. I hope that we actually get internet this week and I can feel connected to the world again. Until then, I just hope nothing major happens without us.
Tschus!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

We're looking forward to having you back online. I was offline yesterday, and it felt awful! I had a computer geek come here today to fix the wireless connection. Too bad I'm so inept at computer things! Cost $65 - probably more than it would have cost to take a course on computer terminology, etc.
ReplyDeleteLove you guys and hearing all your adventures.
Love, G. Allred