Wednesday, March 18, 2009

A Stinkin' Holiday



Happy St. Patrick's Day. We did the usual things, dyed the milk green, hunted for gold, you know, our usual, but I decided to try out the tradition of making Corned Beef and Cabbage. My sister always does it and they love it. The boys have never had corned beef, because of Darin's dislike, but now was the perfect time to give it a go.
As I was cooking the cabbage-can anything smell worse- I accidentally let the water steam out and the pan went dry. Burning cabbage smells worse than about anything else (OK, maybe the broccoli in the garbage can after vacation was close). Now with my house smelling like corned beef and burnt cabbage, I thought that I had been stuck in some terrible torture camp. I am a smell person, and these smells were just going to do me in. I decided to make some holiday cookies to try and cover up the smells. Chocolate mint, shouldn't that fix my problem? NO. I decided to seal my grout hoping that the fumes would cover up the smell. Nope, I can still smell the cabbage. I just ran through the house with Febreeze, now my house smells like cabbage and clean laundry. With the layers of smells going on in my house right now, I have created my own personal torture chamber.
But hey, it was all in the name of a holiday, and the boys liked the corned beef.Wearing a bit o' green.

4 comments:

  1. See, Jessica?? See what happens when you make an effort?? This is why I don't try very hard. MY house, which barely even noticed that St. Patricks Day was here, smells wonderfully cabbage-free.

    Let that be a lesson to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE corned beef & cabbage! But it is stinky. I always do mine in a crock pot (it's our traditional Halloween meal, since we have pizza on St. Pats Day).

    But this post just proves how truly amazing you are. If I had stunk my house up like that, I wouldn't have thought of cooking MORE. I would've packed up the kids and gone out to eat. You are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had the stinky traditional meal on Sunday for the Birthday dinner. Who eats that weird meat anyway? It's maroon-no meat should be that color, yuk. And, you need to cook nearly a side of beef to get enough to feed 20+ people. I bought two (large lumps) and ended up with two teensie quarter-pounders, I had to cook some chicken too. Yes,my house still smells like cabbage stinkola too. Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm having a Mom Moment, I taught you well! I got up extra early and made Shamrock pancakes and bought Mitch green gum,soda etc. I remember making you and Jay green skirts for St. Pats, the green apple didn't fall far from the over-achieving tree did it? I'm sure you look back with fondness when I did go to the extra effort, your boys will always remember the burned cabbage and green cookies, nice job daughter!!

    ReplyDelete