Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Baseball's Biggest Fan

Now that I spend every moment of my life on the baseball bleachers, I am declaring myself "Baseball's Biggest Fan."
I have grumbled about going to the ball park every day, transporting dinner in cute little serving containers every night, and everything I could be doing instead. BUT the reality is that there isn't anything that I need to be doing. I love sitting at the ball field, hard bleachers and all. I am getting good at providing a variety of yummy, transportable meals that the boys will eat. And I LOVE watching the boys play ball. I am a wreck with nervousness each game. I really just want them to do well.
At last nights double-header (baseball lingo for games from 430-930 p.m.), I thought that Davis's coach was trying to send me into a nervous frenzy when he pulled Davis from 2nd base to pitch! About a week ago they showed him how to pitch and he has practiced nonstop (at home), but this is his first year playing and I figured that the planets would have to align before he would ever be called upon. Well the planets aligned. I yelled, "Are you crazy?!" Davis beamed and gave me his famous arms above head cheer. Batter Up.
He walked the first batter, 2 batters hit, and 3 batters struck out. It was a great night at the ball field.
The boys aren't the best players on their teams, but they try hard and I think that they are the best! I look forward to a lifetime filled with bleachers, ball, and transportable meals.

4 comments:

  1. Pitcher!? Wow! It sounds like you've got a budding baseball star. My advice - buy yourself a pair of knee pads. Once Jared started pitching, my knees quickly wore out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love, LOVE these stories! I can just see that "hands above the head" cheer! How cute is that??

    Back on my blog you talked about gearing up for when these boys are teenagers. But I'll let you in on a little secret: Boys are a GAZILLION times easier to deal with than girls. And with all this sports stuff, you actually have a lot of great years ahead of you! But buy yourself one of those cushy bleacher chair doo-dahs. (Don't know what they're called; we weren't much for sports...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those boys are so great!! Way to go, Davis! I agree with DeNae - you need some padding under that skinny little butt! Love, Gr. Allred

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that he is pitching. For someone who is so passionate about the game, it is a perfect position. I grew up at the basball field. In my opinion there is no better place for the summer.

    ReplyDelete