Tuesday, June 9, 2009

The Old-Fashioned Way

Our TV remote control has run out of batteries. I haven't wanted to go to the store yet, so for the past few days, we have changed the channels the "old fashioned way" -with our fingers.

It has gotten me to thinking about my childhood and our TV. I remember sitting in front of the television turning the channels for my dad. I was his remote. I would have to adjust the second knob every time we wanted to watch channel 21. Then with a twist of the antenna- we could watch TV.

My kids don't know what it was like. They will have to remember the time that the batteries ran out and mom didn't rush out to get more.

Jag was watching TV and I told him to turn it off.

He said, "I can't find the remote."

I told him to turn it off with his finger.

He looked at me and laughingly said, "How? Like this?"

Now imagine him putting his 2 hands in front of himself and giving a lightning, you're being shocked, sound. It looks a lot like the Emperor in Star Wars. I just laughed and then showed him how to push the button to turn it off.

I think I will wait until the weekend to get batteries just so we can continue to relive a piece of my childhood (and make the boys grateful for batteries).

2 comments:

  1. We have a t.v./cable/dvr arrangement that won't allow us to turn anything off the good old fashioned way.

    And my parents' t.v. is so complicated it would be easier to just go out and buy a new one than to try to change channels on the current one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried to turn my TV off the other day when I couldn't find the remote - and it took me a full 5 minutes to figure out how in the heck to do it. I'm with Jag - I'd much rather just ZAP it with the Emperor's lightening fingers.

    ReplyDelete