Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Another School Update

Jag has been complaining about school for the full week and a half. He really can't believe that he is going to have to go to school until he is a dad (or something like that). He had his kindergarten assessment yesterday and when I was talking to him about it, I just had to laugh. He said he did great on his colors (good he's known them since 2), he counted to 40 (I said, "Why 40?" He said, "My teacher said count as high as you can, and I decided that 40 was probably high enough.") although he could have counted to 100. We had been working on sight word memorization and he said he did great with the ones we'd worked on, but not the rest. I asked him why he didn't just sound out the words (which he does quite well) and he said that his teacher wouldn't have wanted him to figure out what the words said, just say "I don't know." He said that she did shapes differently than we do. I am pretty sure a square is a square no matter how you do it. Jag is just fine doing just fine. I laugh and think of the "progress" he will make when they give him the end assessment...the school will look like a success.

Jag has been up at nights with leg pain a lot since school started. He walks to and from school. He has PE every other day, but I am convinced that it is recess that is causing the problems. He has a group of little girls that want to chase him, and he loves the game. He calls them the "Chase Girls." Oh the pain that girls are causing in my life already.

Christian is enjoying school, but can't stand the cafeteria. He hates being rushed especially when he has to eat. We have been cutting back and adjusting his lunches to fit into the time frame given, but it will probably always bug him. My favorite part about Christian is that every morning when I have combed his hair, I can see him looking into the mirror giving himself the one-eye-wink-finger pointing-at-you-cool-guy-look. Then he combs his eyebrows to make them darker. He makes sure that he feels good about himself when he goes to school.

Christian had a loose tooth and by the second day of school was questioning me about the tooth fairy. I knew some kid would tell him all the secrets, I just didn't know it would be so quickly. He finally told me that I took his tooth. I asked what I would want with a nasty old tooth. Then reminded him that if I got money under my pillow I'd just be happy, followed quickly by a changing of the subject. (Jaylynn taught me that you just throw the teeth away, so I really didn't have his tooth when he asked. He might be bothered by that when he really thinks about it.)

Davis wrote a great speech last week and was then elected to the student council. His speech included all the appropriate sucking up such as "I would be proud to represent a group of fabulous, smart kids." He actually meant everything he wrote and didn't even ask for suggestions on writing a speech. He couldn't eat for 2 days and was sick to his stomach before giving it, but did great.

The favorite class for Davis is band. He is going to be playing the french horn. He has been practicing constantly with just the mouthpiece making annoying and loud noises that sound like a really sick goose. I can't wait until today when the actual horn will come home! I now understand why my childhood neighbor had to practice her instruments on the front porch.

Noah is so fun to hang out with during the day. He loves to go and walk around at stores. He is enjoying being home, but won't let me out of his sight for long. He gets so excited when the boys come home from school.

I am looking for some kind of hobby or job or time filler. My life is so very different. I have had the kids home for years and now I don't know what to do with myself. I really do want something to do, but haven't found the right thing yet. We are all still adjusting to our new school schedules.

3 comments:

  1. I have an idea: Why not start a blog?

    Wait...

    Our tooth fairy was such a dud we finally told the kids the dog ate her, and if they wanted cash for their teeth they should just ask dad for it.

    And I totally do the cool-guy finger point every morning, but no matter how often it happens I'm never as cute as Christian.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like the kids are staying true to character! Poor Davis - I can relate to that nervous stomach. Sorry to hear about Jag's night pain. That must be hard for you, too. Your dilema with the need for a hobby sounds familiar - kind of like retirement. I still haven't found anything I'd like to do on a continuing basis. I'm considering crewel embroidery for the winter, but that's a little boring. Good luck! G. Allred

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tell Davis I am proud of him and congratulations on making Student Council. Jag is Hilarious!

    ReplyDelete