Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Bad Connections

I am not whining here. I am merely stating the facts about our sorry "connections" here in the desert.

Once on Sunday and then again today I could have used someone to call and dump 4 lovely little boys on. I had a dentist appointment (again) and had to take the angels with me...sorry, boys. [OK, I do have a neighbor that I call on a very rare occasion, but it is always a big inconvenience.
She puts her kids in their PJ by 5 and to bed by 7. She had an appointment and couldn't help out.] Darin and I have realized that it is really sad that we haven't made any real connections here. We haven't found friends that we can turn to when we need a hand, or to hang out with and have a BBQ. We've never lived somewhere like this, a place in which we never find our long, lost friends. Everywhere that we've lived, we have collected life-long friends, friends that we were sad to leave. Not here.

Maybe we are just getting to be too old for the crowd we are living around. People just don't know us. We spoke in church on Sunday and afterward I had comments like, "I didn't know that you homeschooled." "Your husband is a JAG?" You know the basics that you figure out after 5 minutes of talking to us. Actually even the Bishop didn't know that Darin had been gone since mid-February. I guess he just thinks I ditch Darin and run to church so that I can sit and wrestle 4 boys on the pew by myself.

Like I said when I introduced our family on Sunday, in my talk, no need to know more about us, we are just going to be moving in 2 months. (Maybe it's my attitude?:0)

In some ways, I am looking forward to moving.

6 comments:

  1. That's a pretty sorry statement about the friendliness of your ward! They don't know what they've missed - and will now never know about such a great family. I wish I was nearby, and I'd love to help out. I'd feed those boys waffles until they couldn't hold another one! I'm so looking forward to seeing you next week - boy, that sounds close! Love G. Allred

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live in a place where after 2 1/2 years, moms don't know who Olivia is and that she's been in their kid's primary class all this time. She's the only girl - hard to miss. A couple of them also didn't acknowledge me when we took our kids into the SAME KINDERGARTEN CLASSROOM (oh, hi! how are you?......nothing). My 2 older girls? Tons of girls and boys (22 in Mattie's class, 11 in Sophie's), not a lot of acknowledgement there either.

    I have mixed feelings: how are parents like that teaching their kids to treat their peers- are they actually doing us a favor then? Is it all or partly just the view through my looking glass? (It only took a few "blow-off's" for me to take 2 steps back). Neverltheless, we're ok. Because my girls aren't attention seekers, they are unaware of their anonymity.

    I know this for sure, whoever takes a minute to get to know you Jessica, you surely become one of their favorite people - I pity the fools who pass you by! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. SWEETIE!! This has been one hard 2-year stint. You actually seemed further away than when you lived in Turkey.The old folks in the area and in the Walmart were MEAN! It was like we were just there to screw up a perfectly good retirement. Good Riddance.XOXOXOXOXO Mom,

    You can have your old room back...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your blog! I second what everyone else has said, for those who haven't gotten to know you, Totally Their Loss! You are such a great family, and Shining Examples to Us ALL! I hope your move will be a Positive Experience for your cute family. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I felt like this when we came back to the states after Puerto Rico. Our first ward here had nearly 1,000 people in it; they divided a month later. Our STAKE in PR had 1,200, so this was a major shock for my kids. By the time I re-introduced my kids to the primary president for the fourth week in a row, I was ready to chuck the whole thing and start sleeping in on Sundays. Bar none, the move to Vegas was, and in many ways continues to be, our hardest change.

    But look how much love is pouring in from the family! See, it always comes back to kin.

    ReplyDelete
  6. With how long you guys have been there, this makes me sad. They sure don't know what they are missing out on for sure. And your bishop didn't even know that Darin was gone for that long??? WHAT? Hopefully the next move will not be at all like this one. BTW - I would have watched the boys for you in a heart beat! And if John was your dentist he wouldn't have cared if they were all there to hang out ;)

    ReplyDelete