Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Forgotten

As a mother, it isn't unusual for us to put the needs of others before ourselves. This is true for a number of situations, such as our children always being clean and fed while we don't remember combing our hair or eating anything more than a handful of Easter candy that was left lying around. It is also true for doctors appointments, always on time well-baby check-ups for them...
an ignored kidney infection that makes it so I can't stand upright, but blame it on camping and sleeping in a tent for 3 days, for me. My teeth have been the next body part to take the backseat to real life. Now I am paying the dear price for that which was forgotten.

I can't remember the last time I went to the dentist for preventative care. After Christian was born, we moved to law school and the poverty that came with that, put dental care on the frivolous items list. After 3 years at school, I got my first root canal. I was able to put off the pain for a long time, but when during the windy season, I was unable to smile without the throbbing pain. We didn't have insurance, so it was still frivolous, I think we may have called it my birthday present. Turkey was next and I didn't know the limitations that came with dental care in a foreign country with the military deciding what the dentist can and can not do. Dear Dr. Russell did his best to help me out including fixing my broken tooth. Tucson should have brought an immediate dental visit, but once again it just didn't make my list. Instead I flew to Washington to Dr. Russell and let him crown a few teeth, this would put off a dental visit for a year and a half... at least. The boys had check-ups every 6 months. BUT who was going to watch the boys so that I could go to the dentist in the middle of the day, and who was going to help them with their math at the same time?

It was time to change my ways (still having problems with my teeth) and get a check-up. I waited until Darin had finally gotten home from Alabama and was home with the kids. What a can of worms I have opened! The dentist was a bit shocked an disappointed to see the x-rays of my neglected mouth. Mind you I brush all the time, but I do come from bad dental genetics and I have had 3 children since my last visit. I was instantly given a Rx for fluoride toothpaste and have appointments set up from here until I move to get the teeth back in order. It is an expensive and painful lesson that I will not soon forget. I will promise to find a dentist first thing when we move and set up appointments for preventative care!

On the bright side of this ordeal, I am now getting my teeth filled with white. I have had a silver mouth for as long as I can remember. [I have an aunt (slightly crazy) who has had all the mercury fillings removed and replaced because she is sure that it is poisoning her body.] I am going to be doing that the old fashioned, new improved way... filling cavities.

This is a call to all the mom's who have neglected their mouths and dental care, Call the Dentist Today! I am an expensive example of what not to do! But hey, my kids are clean and fed and have done their math.

4 comments:

  1. I've got a better idea . . . fly up to Seattle (you can find CHEAP tickets these days!) and get free dental care. Heck, I think Nathan would pay to fly you up here, just so he can have a happy wife. And bring your boys. I'll teach them math while you're at the dentist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uh-oh... you're making me nervous. I haven't been to the dentist since I got back from my mission well over three years ago. Yikes! And I don't have wonderful fruits like clean, smart kids to show for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you're right, you're right. I finally take my teeth seriously, but it took a few moments like this one to catch the vision.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I learned this the hard way too...

    ReplyDelete