Friday, April 17, 2009

A Sports Story

I am a huge fan of the, sports hero out of nothing, kind of movies. You know Rudy, Remember the Titans, Radio...I love them. But tonight was my favorite sports story yet.

Davis has been frustrated with himself and baseball. He is athletic. He is competitive. He is driven. He is playing his first season of Minor League Baseball. He tries, but there are a lot of boys who have been playing for years on the team. He has been intimidated with the pitchers, and has stood frozen on the plate or ran while swinging wildly. He just had his second game. First time up, strike out (he did go down swinging). Second time up....

Full count.

Pitch... foul ball... finally he felt himself hit it, he would get it next time.

Last pitch... HIT!! Right to the shortstop. Davis is a super fast runner and made it safely to first.

Now this is my favorite part of the sports story, already my heart was leaping out of my chest, but then he turned, caught my eye, and raised both hands above his head and cheered! He wasn't going to be acting too cool, no he was as proud and thrilled as can be. And as in all of my favorite sports stories, I ended up crying. I was so happy for him, I just sat and cried. In fact I am crying right now.

His team lost, but it was our favorite game yet.

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations!!! What a great mom moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! You got me tearing up, too, Jessica!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah Davis! I LOVE it when the players cheer for themselves after a great hit or play. They don't need to be acting "cool" at this age. It's called a baseball GAME for a reason; it's supposed to be about having a great time.

    I hope we get to hear lots more sports stories from you in the coming months. About your kids, at least. Because you know that I despise those cheesy make-you-feel-strong-emotion movies. Blech. :-P

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel you!!! Loved the story!

    Way to go DAVIS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. This is one of my favorite sports stories too. I bet they make a movie out of it.

    Yay Davis!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Say, I like Nonie's idea. Davis would make such a handsome athletic star!!

    Love, G. Allred

    ReplyDelete