However, I did get a Christian. Now Christian isn't my first born, ready-to-take-over daughter. He is my second born, ready-to-take-over son. Some days I have to remind him that I am around and would like to be the mom sometimes. I think of Christian as the boy I earned in my childhood. He is so wonderful. He is so helpful, without the asking. His younger brothers go to him for anything and he stops what he is doing and helps them. He loves to play with Noah, and read to Jag. He is usually on the look-out to ease my burdens. He isn't perfect all the time, but then again he isn't even 8 yet. I know that I didn't get a first born daughter, but I got something better, I got a Christian.
Saturday, February 28, 2009
I Earned This
I was the oldest child. As the first born, I was the second mom and found myself given a lot of responsibilities. I always figured that I had "earned" my own first born daughter to help out the way that I had. So when I had Davis I was a bit bummed that I didn't get my well-earned prize. Davis is a wonderful kid, and helpful when I ask him to be. He will be a baby sitter, like it or not, someday. But, still I know that it just isn't the same. I have to ask him, sometimes force him to take the responsibilities that are rightfully his.
However, I did get a Christian. Now Christian isn't my first born, ready-to-take-over daughter. He is my second born, ready-to-take-over son. Some days I have to remind him that I am around and would like to be the mom sometimes. I think of Christian as the boy I earned in my childhood. He is so wonderful. He is so helpful, without the asking. His younger brothers go to him for anything and he stops what he is doing and helps them. He loves to play with Noah, and read to Jag. He is usually on the look-out to ease my burdens. He isn't perfect all the time, but then again he isn't even 8 yet. I know that I didn't get a first born daughter, but I got something better, I got a Christian.
However, I did get a Christian. Now Christian isn't my first born, ready-to-take-over daughter. He is my second born, ready-to-take-over son. Some days I have to remind him that I am around and would like to be the mom sometimes. I think of Christian as the boy I earned in my childhood. He is so wonderful. He is so helpful, without the asking. His younger brothers go to him for anything and he stops what he is doing and helps them. He loves to play with Noah, and read to Jag. He is usually on the look-out to ease my burdens. He isn't perfect all the time, but then again he isn't even 8 yet. I know that I didn't get a first born daughter, but I got something better, I got a Christian.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I hear you! I was the "other mom" for my siblings too (including my older brother), and now I'm more than happy to pass that responsiblity on to my kids. I've been pleasantly suprised at how well my boys have filled the role.
ReplyDeleteI sure do miss Christian. I'd love to see how he & Emma would interact these days. I think it would be a pretty funny case of gender-role reversal between them. (Emma tends to take after her big brothers and embarrasses the heck out of me with her potty talk.) :-)
I did get the oldest daughter but I am scared to give her too much responsibility. She will do whatever I ask. But I don't want to ask too much of her.
ReplyDeleteChristian is such as good boy. He reminds me of Preslee. She always is reading and helping the little ones, I never have to ask, she just does it.