Friday, February 6, 2009

A Rite of Passage

The first day of seventh grade gym class, the first attempt at driving, tryouts...all rites of passage. They are painful to go through, but even harder to watch your child go through them. Davis had his first little league tryouts tonight. We practiced all week long. Endless hours. I have the sore shoulder to show for it. He looked the part. He was excited. He was nervous. There were a lot of little boys there, some definitely better than others. Davis has been a soccer player for a few years, but started following the MLB last year and decided that it was going to be his sport. After a worthy effort at tryouts, he got in the car and said, "I don't think that baseball is going to be my sport." He doesn't even have a team yet (thus the tryout part), let alone a practice under his belt. He hates not being the best. But given a little time and a lot of throwing at the park with mom, he'll be just fine. Poor kid, how do I explain that the worst rites are still to come?
The nervous look apparent on his face.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, that picture is just painful. At least you're a "with it" enough mom to send him to try-outs looking like a baseball player.

    When Jared went to his first baseball try-out, we were both utterly clueless. It was a Saturday afternoon, so he just went wearing what he'd been lounging around in all day - ratty old sweats, a sloppy sweatshirt, and tennis shoes. No baseball pants, no cleats. They took one look at him and assumed that he sucked, so they put him with the best players in the league. Turned out he was a pretty good player, and helped his team to an undefeated season.

    Which is a long way of saying Good Luck Davis! Try-outs are no fun, but the rest of the season will probably be a blast!! I can't wait to read about it on the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so impressed by any mom who can help her child practice baseball. As I have recently observed, it's not exactly my strong suit, right or left handed.

    It occurs to me, Jessica, that I don't know where you're living right now! This picture looks blissfully snow-free; what's the scoop?

    And I agree with Brooke; that picture just breaks your heart right in two. I'm sending good karma Davis' way!

    ReplyDelete